Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Comedian Jaspal Bhatti dies in road accident
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2012 03:15 PM by meenakshi.)
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/co...030079.ece

Popular comedian and film director Jaspal Bhatti, who touched a chord with the masses with his humorous take on problems plaguing the common man, died when his car rammed into a roadside tree in the wee hours of Thursday.

The satirist’s son Jasraj who was driving the car and actress Surilie Gautam, the heroine of his film Power Cut which is to be released on Friday, were seriously injured in the mishap, police said.

The 57-year-old actor-director, who made his way into the hearts of his people with his satirical shows like ‘Ulta Pulta’ and ‘Flop Show’, was on a tour to promote the film when the accident took place near Shahkot in Nakodar area of the district at 2:30 a.m., Bhatti’s associate Vinod Sharma told PTI in Chandigarh.

They were rushed to a private hospital in Jalandhar where Bhatti was declared brought dead.

“His body was brought to the hospital after 3 a.m. and after medical examination he was declared dead,” said Dr Harpreet Singh.

Bhatti leaves behind his wife Savita, a son and a daughter Raabiya.

Mr. Sharma said that Bhatti was going to Jalandhar from Bhatinda for the promotion of his Punjabi film which is based on the frequent power cuts in Punjab.

Bhatti’s son Jasraj and Gautam have been referred to a Ludhiana hospital. According to doctors, they are in a stable but critical condition.

Born on March 3, 1955 at Amritsar, Bhatti graduated from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh as an electrical engineer.

During his college days, he was popular for his street plays which were spoofs ridiculing corruption in society.

Before venturing into television, he was a cartoonist for the The Tribune newspaper in Chandigarh.

His satire on the Punjab police, Mahaul Theek Hai, was his first directorial venture in Punjabi. He played the role of Jolly Good Singh, a guard, in the movie Fanaa. He also starred in the Punjabi film Jijaji.

Bhatti and his wife Savita competed in a reality show ’Nach Baliye’ in 2008. The couple put their best foot forward to entertain the audiences with their dancing and comic skills.

The cremation is expected to take place later Thursday evening after his body is brought to Chandigarh after completion of various legal formalities and post-mortem, Mr. Sharma said.
Jaspal Bhatti: A tribute to the `king of comedy`

http://zeenews.india.com/blog/jaspal-bha..._5777.html

Little did I know that I would have to wake up to a very depressing news on Thursday morning, something that will make me wonder if God is really unjust and unkind at times. Harjot, a friend of mine from Ludhiana, informed me about the death of Jaspal Bhatti, someone I have adored since my childhood.

I vividly remember having watched the legendary personality’s satirical comedy shows on television. Though I was a kid then, and hardly understood what his jokes meant, I knew for a fact that he was a nice man, for all he did was to make people laugh.

An ordinary man could conveniently relate with his stature. Bhatti uncle, as I would like to address him, had struck an emotional chord with one and all (I am sure). His ‘Flop Show’ was super-hit and his ‘Ulta Pulta’ hit the bull’s eye!

Bhatti Uncle catered to the aam aadmi’s aspirations and the troubles that one faces as a commoner in the world’s largest democracy, India.

Bhatti uncle, who died at the age of 57, was quite active on Twitter and had a huge fan following. People could do little but go crazy on his humorous take on the state of affairs of India’s political system and applaud him for his efforts for bringing to light several pressing issues.

The people on Twitter bombarded the timeline with tweets discussing the greatness of Bhatti Uncle.

Here’s a look at some of the tweets that speak volume about the man’s aura:

@narendramodi Jaspal Bhatti`s demise is unfortunate. He filled our lives with much needed humour. My condolences to his family. May his soul rest in peace

@sanjay_kaul Sad to hear that Jaspal Bhatti is dead. In many ways he was the original crusader against corruption...black humor, his weapon.

@Roflindian RIP Jaspal Bhatti. Just realized that death is a cruel comedian. Always has that last laugh.

@ShivAroor Jaspal Bhatti dead! Cannot think of anything more profoundly unacceptable. RIP sir

@gkhamba Just heard news that Jaspal Bhatti passed away. This is absolutely devastating.

@jitengajaria Laughter dies.. RIP Jaspal

@jasbains_BLA Rest In Peace Jaspal Bhatti! I swear he was the funniest dude ever!#Chankatta

@silver_bestus The real laughter king would always live in our smiles. #jaspalbhatti

@mojorojo Ugh. Jaspal Bhatti gone. RIP. He was so awesome. Flop Show was a huge part of my childhood. The gods are in for a treat.

Coming back to what Bhatti uncle meant to me. My parents would finish all their work in time and tune in to the television set only to watch Bhatti uncle tickle people’s funny bones. And I too would mimic on seeing my parents laugh their hearts out to Bhatti uncle’s gags. And that was fun to me, something I can never afford to forget in my life. My childhood is incomplete without the ‘Flop Show’ man who delivered a super-hit life.

As I grew up, I realised the man’s worth and started following his works. He looked as someone whom people could easily reach and that’s what makes him class apart.

Nothing made better sense than Bhatti uncle’s ‘Nonsense Club’. His life is a humble lesson for many of us to learn, for he was a common man’s celebrity. Ironical, isn’t it?

And I cannot agree more with critic Amrita Malik who had once said, “Bhatti has the correct style for TV, an understated, quiet humour which sinks in without shouting, and which mercilessly exposes both corruption in our every day life and the typical people, who thrive on it. The grim fact and the hard truths of our society so bitter otherwise are made so funny through the adept handling of Bhatti, that cleansing laughter is created out of common malpractices.”

Bhatti uncle has certainly transcended to heaven, but he will remain in our hearts forever!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: Comedian Jaspal Bhatti dies in road accident
This guy worked with salman atleast in two movies -
Yeh Hai Lalwa and the other movie couldn't remember the name, one with Salman and Urmila in lead.
10-27-2012, 05:51 AM
RE: Comedian Jaspal Bhatti dies in road accident
The other movie was Janam Samjha Karo

Jaspal Bhatti was a legend. I think many of us watched "Flop Show" in childhood.

RIP.... Jaspal Bhatti ji

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yash Chopra Dies moimeme 3 8,334 10-22-2012 05:59 PM
Last Post: Mithun
  Legendary Hindi actor Dev Anand dies ktm gal 3 8,538 09-26-2012 08:33 PM
Last Post: ktm gal